Sunday, February 8, 2009

Kannon is a mystey!

Okay so since our little guy has arrived he has been a big mystery. Not just the mystery of how he looks so much like a Croft (hurray for me a child resembles me a tad;) and Keith questions if he really is his (not really, but he likes to tease), but how his body works is a mystery to us and the docs! When he was about 1 1/2 - 2 months old I changed his diaper one day and noticed that there was a spec of bright red blood in his stools. I didn't think much of it and except that I need to watch it and see if it appears again. SO I did and the next day there was more. So I called the doctor a little worried and she told me that he propably is sensitive to Dairy products and it could be passing through my milk to him. SO she had me eliminate all dairy from my diet!! So I did, but the blood didn't stop so our doc called the GI specialist in Denver and she was told to have me eliminate soy and peanuts too. SOOOO I did and we saw progess and the bleeding stopped! When they had me eliminate diary I thought okay I can do this. Then with the soy and peanut thing I thought I was going to die! I couldn't believe everything that had soy in it! After I got used to it it wasn't too bad and I actually felt really good so that was a plus. And now I love rice milk especially on my cereal. :)
Anyways, the docotors were thinking that His bowels weren't developed all the way yet and so at six months I could try again and see what happens. So I did and the blood came back. SO back off the food I went. Then at nine months I tried again...there was the blood. So we got some Nutramagen (the formula that cost $30 for the smallest can and tastes so nastey it made Kannon shiver) So I decided to mix it with soy formula to help the taste and slowly get him used to it...and the blood came back. So at this time I am super frusterated but even more worried. So our doctor sends us to an allergist to get his apparent food allergy discovered beofore he turns 1! So we know what to feed him. Off to Billings we go and first they try the skin test...tests negative to 16 different foods...so blood tests...negative too to the 16 different foods. SO the allergist tells me this probably means that he has an underdeveloped digestive system and hopefully he'll grow out of it by the time he is 12months (which is next month) and that I can go back on the dairy, soy,and peanuts and see how he does...so I did (ice cream was at the top of my list:)... and the blood came back (not a lot but it was still there)!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! So now at this time I am at a compelte loss!!!! Not only does his stools have the blood, but it usually is really slimy/mucusy! just gross! So I call our doctor again and she tells me that I need to stop all of those foods again and that it's time for him to see the GI specialist. So I tell myself again "I can do this, no big deal" Even though dariy queen just opened again for the season:) It wasn't so hard when it was closed:) Anyways, so here we are I stopped the foods again and we have started feeding him foods that are diary and soy free and of course peanut free, and his stools have been looking a lot better and he seems more satisfied. His diet was even worse, rice cereal, pedylite, breastmilk. That was it. :( My poor baby!

Anyways, so after all of this we will still just have to wait and see what happens!!! In the mean time if there is anyone out there that has maybe experienced this same thing and have some pointers, I would LOVE them!

3 comments:

The Lennons said...

That is SO hard! My Friend is experiencing the same thing with her 5 month old...I will ask her if they've figured anything out! You are so brave, I quit nursing Garrett last month cause I can't seem to find any self discipline and he was miserable (although no blood).... I am horrible. Good luck

Traci Kannard said...

hey girlie I wish I hd some grand advice to give you but unfortunetly I don't...just so say allot of Prayers...but I am sure you are doing that already...my prayers are with you though and hopefully some answers will come soon...xo's

Lauren said...

I'm so sorry. That does not sound fun at all. Hopefully little Kannon will get better soon and you can eat normal again! Miss you.

Me and my man still in love after six years!

Me and my man still in love after six years!
Camping at wood river