Saturday, April 4, 2009

What 15 minutes can do...

Last night after a busy day, I got the kids out of the bath and ready for bed. While I was getting them in their PJs Ashlyn and Jace were competing for my time. Ashlyn wanted to play "ball" (catch) and Jace wanted me to build blocks with him. Usually when I get them ready for bed they are pretty much done playing for the day and I am ready for them to be in bed. Especially when Keith is gone- and last night he was...Anyway..so I decided just play with them for a little while. I played catch with Aslyn for a bit and then we all played with the blocks and built a sweet tower for Jace's squishy toys. I had a fun time watching their imaginations go. So by the time we were done putting out all of the pretend fires around the tower and made sure all his squishy toys were doing their job being "on the look-out" it was probably a total of 15 minutes of fun. Well as we were really getting ready for bed this time and Jace was saying our family prayer He thanked Heavenly Father for the "fun night we had and that mommy could play with us." It just melted my heart! It made me think of how simple that was and how much he loved it. How easy just to take time to play and really play- not just be there. I too often am so worried about having my house clean, dishes done, dinner ready, and every other everyday thing done and then I'll play. It's amazing what little things in life please kids. Soon Jace will be in Kindergarten and I won't have him around all the time to want me to play. Lifes too short and kids grow way too fast- so take time to play:) It was a good reminder for me of what's really important at the end of the day. What a refreshing night:)

8 comments:

KrIStiN said...

i agree sometimes i get caught up in house things that i dont take enoiugh time to play, but my mom told me that the housework is always gonna be there as well as laundry and dishes and my kids wont be, they will start school and grow up so fast and when they are gone im still gonna have housework to do.i wish my house was always clean though so i could just play all day :0)

Stacey said...

They grow so fast and you did a great thing by taking the 15 minutes! They appreciated it even at their young age. Sweet post, Brook!

5-against-1 said...

I need to take some of your advice!! I go all day...doing everything I think I need to do...when I should have been with my kids!!! Great job mom!!

Traci Kannard said...

isn't it just awesome when your child or children remind us of what is important...I Love it when RJ does that...and it is sooooooo true about growing up so fast...I can't believe in just a few more months RJ will be in 4th grade...where did it all go...but I am so grateful for all the little moments I get with her and will always cherish those times...miss ya can't wait to see you in a month...LOL!!!

Jem said...

That is so sweet. I need to work on that too. I know Bobby thinks its the greatest thing if I just sit and play guitar hero with him for a couple songs. Its good to be reminded that nothing is more important than spending time with our kids. Thank you.

The Lennons said...

Thanks for the reminder! Kids are so sweet and remind of the important things in life. You are a great Mama!

Kathy said...

You are such a sweet Mom. I told Lauren that after the last time we saw you. Your kids are sweet and very smart. I really love that baby of yours.
hugs...

Caranna said...

Thanks for the reminder. I need to play more. I get requests to come play whatever - and I say "I'm too busy" or "When I'm done with the dishes" "I have to go put in some laundry" Whatever it is, but I don't take much time to play because I'm so busy with everything else.

Tate will be starting Kindergarten this year - It's so hard to believe! and before long those moments will be gone forever. No more pretending - dinosaurs, astronauts and monsters - will be gone.

I can spare 15 minutes. Here's to PLAYING MORE!

Me and my man still in love after six years!

Me and my man still in love after six years!
Camping at wood river